On Feb. 6, it was former President Ronald Reagan’s birthday. He would have been 102. The Republicans fondly look back at his presidency, but it seems that they like to forget about some of his disastrous economic and fiscal policies. Although Reagan seemed to have the right idea when he espoused political and economic virtues, he didn’t put it into practice.
Here are five of his policies that aren’t talked about much by the Republican faithful:
– Increased the national debt from $900 billion to $2.7 trillion
– A $155 billion budget deficit in 1988
– Increased government spending by 69 percent
– Raised the debt ceiling 18 times during his presidency
– Signed legislation that would heighten penalties for drug dealers/users
Indeed, he was a funny and smart man, but he was no small-government guy. With that being said, below is a funny video of Reagan telling Soviet jokes.